Protect Yourself From Phishing
Phishing is when fraudsters pretending to be from well-known companies, organizations, or government agencies contact consumers and try to trick them into revealing their personal information.
That information is then used to commit fraud like opening new accounts in your name or taking over existing accounts like online banking or iTunes. It can happen over the phone, on email or even through text messages. Protect yourself with these quick tips:
- Be on your toes. Only open emails, attachments, and links from people you know.
- Don’t believe what you see. It’s easy to steal the colors, logos and header of an established organization and make emails appear legitimate.
- Avoid sharing. Don’t reveal personal or financial information in an email, text or over the phone.
- Pay attention to a website’s URL. Hover over any links to see where they lead.
- If you are unsure whether an email request is legitimate, try to verify it by contacting the company directly. Report suspected phishing emails to email@example.com
- Keep a clean machine. Make sure you keep your anti-virus software up to date.
Protecting your personal information is a very involved process, and protecting your customers’ information is even more complex. Fidelity’s security experts are ready to advise you on the most current ways to protect your data. Contact our customer support team today.
Leave a Comment